The conference "Copernicus for environment and human security – from research to operations" will take place in Rome on 18th September 2014.
The European programme Copernicus, previously known as GMES (Global Monitoring for Environment and Security) and headed by the European Commission (EC) in partnership with the European Space Agency (ESA), is the most ambitious Earth Observation program to date.
It will provide accurate, timely and easily accessible information to improve the management of the environment, understand and mitigate the effects of climate change and ensure civil security.
The conference will focus on the potential contribution of the Copernicus Programme to EU policies and actions in these areas of environment, preservation of cultural heritage, border control, maritime surveillance, and external actions: key-themes for Europe and, in particular, for the Mediterranean region.
The event will also help to better promote the role of “Space” not only as a strategic priority sector for the EU, but also as a key driver of the European economy.
The main objectives of the conference are:
• inform about the contribution of Copernicus for the implementation of European policies – internal and external;
• raise awareness on how Copernicus can make a real difference by improving the quality of life of the citizens;
• foster growth in the space sector by creating business opportunities at regional national and local level.
After a welcome address at 09:30 am by the Italian Presidency of the Council and high representetives from the European Commission and Italian government, the conference will be opened by the President of the Italian Space Agency Roberto Battiston and the Director General of the European Space Agency Jean-Jacques Dordain.
The event includes two sessions:
1. Copernicus Services for the benefit of EU citizens and the Environment;
2. Copernicus services for Security and Surveillance (with roundtable discussion).
Conclusions are expected to be presented around 5 pm.
Participation in the conference is by invitation only.
The DEADLINE for registrations EXPIRED on 7th SEPTEMBER
The shuttle service (18th September, 08:15 a.m. from piazza Esedra to ASI Headquarter and comeback) is only available to conference participants booked